Wednesday, September 16, 2009

3 P's and a G: Pasta, Pizza, Paninis, and Gelato

Yup. That is pretty much what we live off of here. In Siena, that's pretty much all you can get - well, if you don't want to pay more than 10,00 Euro. So we opt for the 2,00 Euro piece of pizza :D We're trying to work on a system where we bring lunch without having to store anything in the fridge of our host parents. We just don't want to impose on their lives more than we already are. But we'll figure it out. But I'm not going to lie, I love grabbing a slice and sitting in the Campo and playing "Tourist or Not?" It's just fun to pick out all the tourists with their lanyards, translators, and video cameras. And yes, we know that we are visitors as well, but yeah. We think it's different. I just love the Italian culture. Where you just have a huge piazza and everybody goes there to eat and laugh and just enjoy each others company. Though I am getting used to the idea of having siesta time, we survive.
So our host family is absolutely amazing. They consist of: Benny (dad), Anna (mom), Alberto ('lil bro #1), and Giuseppe ('lil bro #2). They are all very sweet and always willing to help us with our horrible, broken up Italian. We really are trying so so hard, and I'm pretty sure we're getting better. But it does not sound good. Our family had a couple girls from BYU living with them last year and they LOVED those girls. They have a picture of them hanging in their office and one of the girls even called while we were at dinner the other night. So we kinda have a lot to live up to. Especially since they didn't speak ANY Italian before they came and then apparently were speaking like Italians when they left. So we feel a little pressured, but we're trying.
Holy cow, so we were at dinner a few nights ago with our host mom and she was saying how there was a latin dance party near our apartment the next night and asked us if we wanted to go. So we said sure, because why not? So we leave with Anna and we're thinking it's going to be this fun, hip party. But instead we show up and it's a dance floor flooded with senior citizens. All 3 of us start laughing. And then not 5 minutes after we got there, this tiny, drunk old man approaches me and starts going off in Italian. I finally got him to slow down and found out we was asking me to dance with him. So I said ok and he took me out there. I thought, ok, cute 80-year-old Italian man - sure. What's the harm? Well the only problem is he was exactly chest height on me and he kept trying to pull me closer! It was SO awkward. Of course I look over at Marie and Anna and they're DYING laughing. So I just laugh my way through this dance just hoping it will end. And with my limited, LIMITED Italian, I try to make small talk. And when I say small talk, I really mean that I just asked him what his name was. Anything else he said, I didn't really understand. It was very mumbled, and I guess he just didn't understand that I didn't speak much Italian. Even when I'm saying "non capito, non capito" over and over again. Well after the dance, Bruno (yes, that was his name) gets the death grip on my hand and tells me that I have to stay for another dance. I kept trying and trying to get away, but like I said - death grip. So the music starts and he just starts dancing again. And of course, again, Marie and Anna are laughing at me. Oh, but it doesn't end at the end of this dance. He makes me stay yet ANOTHER dance. He kept trying to wait for a slow song. But you better believe that I did NOT want to slow dance with this guy. And I most definitely did not want a fourth dance with him. Three was for sure enough. Too much, but oh well. Finally after the dance I basically had to run away. I found Anna and Marie (still dying laughing) and we left the senior citizen shindig. It was fun though because it was a fun bonding moment with Anna. She is seriously adorable, I love her.
Well I think that's enough writing without any pictures. I'm sorry I don't have more right now. The internet at the house doesn't let me upload pictures, so I have to do it at school. And the internet there is extremely bipolar. You're all lucky you got any pictures. But school is good, and hopefully my Italian will improve. Otherwise, I will just die. But also, from now on, my posts should be much more regular. But I hope you're all doing well. LOVE YOU!

4 comments:

  1. I love your Tournist or not game. May I suggest...1,2,3 Marry me! The first guy that passes is 1, you can choose to marry him or pass to the next guy who is 2. You can choose him, but if you pass then you're stuck with number 3. Or pay "Do or Don't" where you judge people's outfits on whether their a "Do" or a "Don't."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so the scary old Italian dude story will forever be Hilarious to me!! I can not stop laughing!!! I can see your face right now trying to get away from the dude! Keep the stories coming! I love you and miss you tons. So glad you are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz! What an amazing adventure you are having! Don't worry about becoming fluent, when you are immersed it will happen (at least you will understand when people are talking about you!) When I was 12 we were in Italy for 7 weeks and although I wasn't a fluent speaker when we left I sure knew what everyone around me was saying! Love your stories! Love you even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! I almost died laughing! I can just imagine how that must have gone down! Hang in there! Keep trying to speak at every chance you get and you'll definitely be a cute Italiano woman yourself!

    ReplyDelete